The History (1931 - Present)

Weymouth Drama Club was formed in 1931 and went on to present its first plays in 1932 and has performed at many venues around the town, including the Burdon Hotel (now the Prince Regent), Weymouth Arts Centre (now Weymouth Town Council), The Nothe Fort, Portland Castle, The Verne and our own Warehouse Theatre.

 

Plays have been presented every year since 1932, expecting the war years, and the Club introduced large-scale pantomime into its repertoire in 1978. We have also been successful in the All England Once Act Play Festival, often winning the local round and on three occasions reaching the Final. The club has more recently taken part in the Royal Shakespeare Company’s Open Stages festival and you might have seen some of our members as extras in film and television work.

 

Our junior section, The Curtain Raisers, was formed in 1982 following performances of Noel Coward’s Cavalcade in which many young people appeared. The Curtain Raisers have seen gone from strength tot strength and today there are approximately 60 members who explore different areas of theatre, putting on their own performances and appearing in Club productions. One of their more notable successes is with the NT Connections project which they take part in every two years.

 

In 1992, after many years rehearsing in various pubs and church hall, and holding meetings in members’ homes, we were fortunate enough to be able to buy our own premises. With support from the National Lottery, the foundation for Sport and the Arts and the local council we have been able to convert a disused brewery warehouse into a studio theatre, also housing our stock of props, scenery and costumes.

 

So Weymouth Drama Club is still going strong, with plenty of opportunities for everyone who comes along to join us.  

Weymouth Drama Club, The Warehouse Theatre, 7 Hope Street, Weymouth, DT4 8TU

Tel: 01305 750050

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon
  • Grey Twitter Icon

© 2019 WEYMOUTH DRAMA CLUB. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

REGISTERED CHARITY: 1144845